LoadWeb

Blog Directory for BC

Wednesday 30 November 2011

Moroccan Preserved Lemons

Well it has been a while but I managed to do some work in the kitchen today and was even thinking far enough in advance that I got some pictures to go along with it. I have been on this pickling/fermenting kick for the last little while and preserved lemons is just one of the things that I have wanted to try. So without further adieux here we go.

Preserved lemons are one of those little pieces of heaven. Not something that you find everyday here in North america but from my understanding it is quite popular in middle eastern countries. It is a shame I didn't see any while I was in Egypt last spring as I would have brought some home. But I know have a jar that when properly preserved should keep for at least a year or longer.

This is quite simple to make and has many uses in the kitchen. The flavor is a very strong concentrated lemon taste and a quarter of a lemon minced finely should be enough to rub all over a chicken before roasting, or sprinkled over fresh salmon filets. I will be experimenting with adding it to homemade tartar sauce as well. I hear the lemon juice, while very salty, is an excellent addition to Ceasars.

Ingredients:

Meyer Lemons, preferably organic and unwaxed. Meyers Lemons are a little sweeter than your standard lemon and have a slight orange taste.
Salt



Steps:

1. Wash the lemons
2. Cut the lemons like you are quartering them but dont cut all the way through the bottom.


3. Open the lemons and sprinkle about a TBSP of coarse salt into each lemon.


4. Put 1 layer lemons in jar and squash down


5. Sprinkle with more salt.
6. Continue layering, pressing and salting until jar is full and lemons used up.


7. If there is not enough juice released from the crushing add some more lemon juice to cover.
8. Cover with cheesecloth, or I use flour sack.



Let stand on the kitchen counter for 2 weeks pushing the lemons under the liquid daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment