LoadWeb

Blog Directory for BC

Wednesday 27 July 2011

Restaurant Review - The mongrillian

Only part way through the work week but last night we decided to go out for dinner. We have been here before but the last couple times we tried it has been closed (we were either too late in the evening, or on a Sunday).

While The Mongrillian is a fairly new venture, the restaurant has been on and off for several years (used to be called the Thunder Grill). Located at Berkeys Corners, right across from Bob’s Restaurant, it is on the site of the original Berkey’s Garage. A Totem (I believe) gas bar still stands but The Mongrillian has now shut down the pumps and expanding their restaurant business.

The atmosphere is quaint and friendly. Asian decorations are a little kitsch, with plastic plants and paper lanterns but I can easily overlook that, hell I have eaten in some of the tackiest tiki lounges in Hawaii. The owners are wonderful people, coming out front to greet old and new friends alike.

The first time we went here I was blown away by the “Garlic Pork Salad Rolls” $7.25 and I had to have it again last night. The menu describes this as Garlic pork sliced up, lettuce, cucumber and crispy pastry wrap rolled up in thin rice paper served with fish sauce.

The Garlic pork was the best I have ever had, enough garlic to last a couple hours, maybe longer. The addition of crispy wonton wrapper to the inside of the rice paper roll is brilliant and the fish sauce is probably the perfect accompaniment to this wrap.

As a main course I had the Combination A . It consisted of Almond Chicken, Sweet and Sour Pork, Chop Suey and Chow Mein Noodles.

The value was there at $10.95. The serving was huge and if I hadn’t been such a pig there would have been enough left for lunch today, instead I am stuck with a leftover pork chop sandwich with homemade mustard ;)

The almond chicken was all while breast meat, pounded very thing. The batter had the perfect crispiness to it, but unfortunately I didn’t get that almond taste I was craving. The Sweet and Sour Pork was good but I found it just a touch gummy. I would recommend a little less cornstarch in the sauce and maybe just a touch less vinegar as well. The Chop Suey was as good as any I have had before and the chow mein noodles were cooked perfectly.

My wife had the signature meal which is the Mongolian Stir Fry. I cannot comment on the taste as I didn’t try it, I am not a big fan of stir fry but I will comment on the items and price.

The price is reasonable at $2.49 per 100 grams. My wife had a huge stir fry and it was around $16. What you do is go to the counter with your own bowl and fill it with the proteins and vegetables you want (all raw). You then decide on a sauce and noodles or rice. The chef cooks it all for you to order. Some of the items to choose from included:

Chicken meat (white or dark), Prawns, Beef, Pork
Clery, Onion, Peas, Cabbage, Sprouts,Carrot
Sauces: Garlic, Teryaki, Black Bean, Oyster

And lots lots more. I will definitely be back. Score : 7.5/10


http://mongrillian.com/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment