LoadWeb

Blog Directory for BC

Sunday 24 July 2011

Review - Just Jakes

This review is from a couple months ago. I really hope the food has improved since then. I really don't like giving negative reviews but I call them as I see them.

http://justjakes.ca/index.php?welcome,8

Just Jakes is a restaurant connected to the Craig Street Brew Pub. The kitchen churns out meals for both establishments. Now I will be the first to admit, the beer produced by CSB is top notch. I try the Tool Box sampler every time I go to CSB. The sampler consists of 5 four ounce sample glasses of beer and some peanuts. One of the beer samples is always something a little different and seasonal. For around $10 it is definitely worth a try.



I am a big fan of Curry. The best I ever had was probably fish head curry in Singapore. One night My wife and I went to Just Jakes and I opted for the "Old Style Curry" for $13. The menu boasts:


Chicken, steak or prawns simmered in our house made curry, served on basmati rice with grilled pita.


Disappointing to say the least. It was very clearly evident they cook a big pot of rice and let it stay warm all day. By the time we got there (around 8 pm) the rice was complete mush, the texture almost of tapioca. It was the worst rice I have had in a long long time. The taste of the curry itself was mediocre, a little on the bland side and the chicken strips were rubbery and completely unseasoned. The best part of the meal were the pita breads. Luck me, after complaining about the food the waitress gave me a whole 10% off.......of my curry, not the whole meal, just my portion....drink excluded of course.


Curry is one of those foods where people go in expecting big bold flavours. Just Jakes failed here, sorry to say.


Based on this meal alone:


5/10 (if it wasnt for the beer and pita, it would have been 1/10)







2 comments:

  1. Hi Ken
    I just came across your site and enjoyed the review about the Mongrillian - my wife and I enjoy it once in awhile also. We visit this restaurant when we need our Chinese food fix and it usually satisfies that need. We are limited in that aspect on the Island.
    On the topic of food, have you tried the Stone Soup Inn on the way to Lake Cowichan? Pricey but good when looking for something special.
    I will follow your blog with anticipation.
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support Terry. I do enjoy the Mongrillian, the food is fresh and always a good value. Chinese/Asian restaurants that serve good food at a reasonable price are getting hard to find. There was a restaurant in Chemainus (Ding Ho) that was easily the BEST that I have tasted in years. Unfortunately, the owners passed the restaurant to family and moved to Vancouver. The food just is not the same anymore.

    ReplyDelete